Job Description: Head of Finance – Morecambe Football Club
The Head of Finance has full responsibility for managing, controlling and optimising the financial
performance of Morecambe Football Club (MFC). Reporting to the General Manager (GM) with
direct support from the Board Director with responsibility for finance, they are responsible for
creating and managing the club’s budgets, forecasting and helping to improve financial
performance. In doing so, they will play a key role in achieving MFC’s strategic vision of being
competitive and sustainable in League One.
This role is critical to the development and evolution of MFC at a time when the ambition and
strategic direction of the club have never been clearer. For the right person, the role represents
a career-defining role and the opportunity to make a positive difference not just to MFC, but to
the whole town of Morecambe and the wider North Lancashire area that the club represents.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Manage and improve every aspect of MFC’s finance function and financial performance.
• Ensure that the club meets all legal financial, VAT, PAYE and EFL requirements,
completing and submitting returns as required.
• Provide the GM and Board of Directors (BoD) with timely and accurate financial
information and advice to enable the best possible decisions to be made.
• Assist in optimising the deployment of MFC’s financial resources in support of the club’s
vision and strategy.
• Lead the finance function and manage the Finance Assistant.
• Prepare and maintain cashflow/budget forecasts and manage the cash requirements of
• Prepare management accounts and other necessary financial reports on a monthly
• Maintain relationships with external financial and professional advisors, including banks,
insurers and auditors.
• Monitor financial initiatives carried out by other clubs and relevant businesses, in order
to be able to recommend financial innovation and best practice.
• Process monthly payroll accurately and efficiently, ensuring that statutory deadlines are
• Prepare and submit quarterly VAT returns.
• Prepare year end information and manage the audit process.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
The successful candidate will possess:
• An ACA, ACCA, ICAEW, CIMA, CIPFA qualification or AAT with significant experience.
• A successful track record gained managing the finance function of a relevant business,
in terms of scale and commercial activity. This may be within football, but those with a
successful finance background in other industries are also encouraged to apply.
• Proven management skills.
• Impeccable integrity and exacting standards.
• An interest in football and the energy and initiative required to contribute to the execution
of MFC’s strategic vision.
• A willingness to work flexibly in keeping with the operations of a professional football
• A home in, or willingness to move to, a location that is within 45 minutes of MFC.
This is not a normal finance role. Instead, it is the opportunity to play a crucial part in the next
chapter of one of the most exciting stories in professional football. The successful candidate will
be in the thick of the inner workings of a football club with a clear strategy and an ambitious but
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a completed copy of the attached Morecambe FC application form,
along with your salary expectations, to [email protected] by Wednesday 22nd
September 2021. The recruitment process is likely to involve three interview stages, COVID restrictions allowing.
Morecambe Football Club is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from
all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual
orientation, age or any other protected characteristic.
Receive emails for the latest jobs matching your search criteria